Sunday, December 9, 2018

09.12.2018. The Little Things I'll Miss

I'm not gonna say in a week's time I'll be packing my bags. Oops. Said it. Ouch.
At this point, everyone knows I'll miss Alaska. Everyone knows I'll miss the nature, the mountains, the forest, most importantly, I'll miss my friend family. That goes without saying. But there are also some small, 'insignificant' details I'll miss about this place.

1. Community.
I've realized a small community is something that just seems so right for me. I've experienced it before, such as in Taizé, but now I know that I really love living among a small number of people, knowing nearly everyone, knowing that I can barge into anyone's apartment at any time and nobody will think much of it. It makes one feel safe. Belonging.

2. Random chats with strangers.
Greeting 'hi, how are you' is an unwritten law. Whether a passer-by, someone at the bus stop, the cashier - the Latvian way of lowering the gaze and shutting down is a no-go. The first time I went to the store, I was almost creeped out by the cashier making small talk - I don't know you, why are you so interested in me??? Or the first time I had a proper chat about languages at the bus stop. I'm not looking forward to going back to where greeting or smiling at someone places you in the weirdo category.

3. Non-existent fashion.
Even though the climate in Latvia is rather similar to that in Juneau, Latvians - not just in cities, but also rurally - tend to pay a lot of attention to their attire and appearance. Why. Just why. Here, all that matters is staying dry, warm and comfortable. Sweatpants and hoodie to class? Perfectly okay. Hiking boots and Xtratufs all year long. No make-up, either. I probably can't even do mine anymore.

The list goes on, but these are the ones that came to mind right off the bat. Being friends with professors. Cheap gas. Wholesale groceries. Stuff.
One thing I won't miss? Food. No matter what, it's still crappy. But that's about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment