Sunday, November 11, 2018

11.11.2018. Round Two: UAS vs LU

11 weeks into studies, I feel like I can elaborate more on what I was unsure of last time I compared the two universities. As of now, I find myself leaning towards the American teaching system more and more. Here's why. (Unrelated photos just for fun.)

1. The reading system. For literature classes in Latvia, we'd be assigned a book to be read by a certain date, and up until that date we'd talk about history, random other works, do weird assignments not even close to the reading material. Then, when the book is due, everyone must somehow make their point about it in 1h30min without repeating what others have said, and the book is quickly forgotten.  Here it works differently. Book reading is due every class - a chapter of the book is to be read, progressing with it as we go. We (an assigned student) prepare discussion questions on the chapter. Thus, every class is actually dedicated to the reading (which literature should concern, no?) and all the history and references to other works come along the way, making way more sense when it's tied to the reading and not just thrown out there. In my mind, this system works better. 
The system also works when the professor brings their dog to class.

2. Professor-student relationship. Firstly, in every class I take, we sit in a circle. Everyone, including the professor. This instantly diminishes the power relationship between the teacher and the students and positions one on an equal level. Secondly, we're on a first-name basis with all professors. English, obviously, eliminates the confusion of tu/jūs (formal and informal thou). In Latvia however, just writing a damn e-mail to a professor is a world of confusion, as some like to be addressed by Dear Prof. Something, others hate the generalized term professor and want to be addressed by their degree, but go figure who wants what. I am much more comfortable starting my e-mail with Hi Will.
Happy belated Halloween.

3. Feedback. Apologies to all the professors who do provide feedback, however, I must say in Latvia I'd get my papers back with a few unexplained underlines and a mark. That's it. Here, we get feedback. Like, sentences. Paragraphs even. Proper feedback. That's why there is motivation to do the assignments, even if there are more than there would be in Latvia. Sorry, folks, but if the impression is that the work is not even read and nobody cares - the students don't care, either. Applies to schools, too, probably even more so. I do realize the workload on professors in Latvia is much worse than it is here, and the salaries - way lower. I don't blame the professor. It's just that... Latvia just doesn't have it together. That's that.
Update: Raptor is up and running, duct taped and trash bagged.


No comments:

Post a Comment